Looking into opening your own business?
The pool industry can be an excellent option if you enjoy spending time outdoors, you’re a hands-on worker, you are looking for a recurring revenue stream of income, and love building relationships with people in your community.
Why the pool industry?
- 11 million swimming pools are in the United States
- All pools need to be serviced
- Provides a recurring revenue stream
- Affordable costs to start-up a pool business
- A sustainable industry with high-income potential
Here is your quick guide to starting a successful business in the pool industry:
Having a well-planned business model is essential to grasp a full understanding of the business venture that you are undertaking. Researching and investing a sufficient amount of time into creating a solid business plan is the key to any successful business model.
Location and Market Analysis
Whether you are looking at starting a pool company in the area you currently reside or if you have a location in mind, ask yourself the following questions:
- How many pools are in the area you want to serve?
- Is there a need for pool service in this area?
- How will your business fit into the market?
- Once you have picked the ideal location, check your county and state government requirements for licensing a pool cleaning business.
Products and Services
- Make a list of the services you will offer your customers and everything you will need to perform these services. You will also need to identify where you should buy these products. Often times, there are wholesale distributors that offer significant discounts on product sales to people in the trade.
- Examples of services offered would be pool cleanings, regular pool maintenance, pool filter cleanings, pool inspections, pool equipment repairs, pool renovations, pool decking, pool remodels, etc.
- Examples of products needed are chlorine, pool filters, skimmers, pool chemicals, pool heaters and heat pumps, pool cleaners, pool pumps, pool automation systems, etc.
Create a spreadsheet that lists one-time startup cost estimates.
- Business license
- Legal fees
- Market research study
- Property Lease
- Vehicle expense
After completing your list of one-time startup costs, add in any anticipated costs for running your business for the next 12 months to three years.
- Cost of chemicals and cost of goods sold
- Marketing and advertising
- Travel expenses
- Marketing and Sales
Get to know your target market by researching the demographics and psychographics of your consumers. Demographics can include age, gender, language, economic status, spending power, swimming pool owner, etc.
Once you have developed your target audience, create a marketing and sales strategy that will reach each segment of your target audience on multiple advertising platforms. Depending on your audience size and budget, business owners should put away some spending dollars on digital media, print, radio, television, and outdoor advertising.
Options to Consider
Have you dreamed of starting your own business but felt overwhelmed by the time and research needed to run a successful company from the ground up?
If you answered YES to the question above, there is another option to consider – buying a franchise.
A franchise gives you the available tools, resources, and support needed to launch your business with ease. Depending on the franchise, you can apply for the opportunity and open for business in only a few months!
For people interested in joining a franchise in the pool industry, ASP – America’s Swimming Pool Company offers a reliable, finely tuned business model for franchise success. It offers everything needed to get you started on the right track. All you need to do is follow the plan!
An ASP franchise offers:
- A 12-day training program
- PoolOps software – a proprietary, automated mobile platform used to communicate to customers
- Integrated communication system
- Complete operations startup kit
- Truck outfitting startup kit
- Technical support system
- Excellent company culture
- Branding power
- Accounting and bookkeeping support
- Marketing, public relations, and advertising support
At ASP, we realize that most American’s have the desire to open their own business and want to build a business they can pass down to their family, so let us help you with your entrepreneurial journey!
To learn more about franchise opportunities with ASP, call us (800) 734-7886 or fill out our form.