The 4 Essential Components of Pool Care
The basics of pool care can be a bit murky – even for prospective ASP - America's Swimming Pool Company franchisees. If you fall into this category, there is no need to worry! ASP will make sure you are a pool expert in no time. First and foremost, let us go over the basics of pool care.
Regardless of how simple or extravagant a pool may be, four components require regular maintenance:
- The Water – Regularly checking and treating pool water is key to prolonging any pool’s lifespan. Keeping pools spotlessly clean, clear of contaminants, and chemically balanced, we help pool owners avoid costly corrosion, disrepair, and infestation.
- The Interior Walls & Liner – A pool’s lining surfaces and walls should be routinely cleaned to ensure algae, mold, and rust do not form.
- The Filter System – If the pump is the pool’s heart (circulating water), the filter is the liver (clearing dirt and contaminants). Without a functioning filter system, a pool’s water will quickly become cloudy, bacteria-ridden, and unclean. We service all filters, including sand filters, diatomaceous earth (D.E.) filters, salt-water chlorinators, and cartridge filters.
- The Skimmers & Returns – To continue with the biological comparisons, the skimmers and returns act as the pool’s veins and arteries. Skimmers pull water into the filter, while the returns push clean water back into your pool. To work fluidly, they should be clear of obstructions.
Every pool is unique, and you’ll undoubtedly run into odd maintenance situations in the field. Nevertheless, with a firm grasp on these four components, you’ll be well prepared for whatever comes your way!
Proper Pool Maintenance – The Three C’s
Successful pool care is dependent on three simple factors – maintaining circulation, cleanliness, and proper chemistry. We help ensure each pool enjoys:
- Proper Water Circulation – When water stagnates, mold, algae, and other unwanted gunk quickly will develop. To avoid bacterial growth, a working pump and filter system is crucial. Ideally, pool pumps should operate around the clock – 7 days a week. When a homeowner wants to cut back on energy usage and costs, it is possible to run the filter 12 hours and maintain relatively safe and clean pool water. By backwashing pool filters (reversing the flow of water to carry dirt and contaminants to the waste port) and cleaning pool filters, we ensure pumps and filters are working optimally.
- Clean Water – Keeping pool water clean requires a combination of cutting-edge tools and old-fashioned elbow grease. Utilizing brushes, vacuums, skimmers, and other technologies, our technicians remove leaves, mold, and other debris. We also scrub, scour, and thoroughly clean pool tile and liner. Through consistent upkeep, we make sure bacteria, gunk, oils, and other residues are eliminated from pool water.
- Balanced Water Chemistry – Pool chemistry may sound complicated but is surprisingly simple. The first step to balancing water is testing it. The three key factors to consider when balancing water chemicals are alkalinity, pH levels, and bromine/chlorine levels. By balancing sanitizer and acidity with proper chemicals, you can ensure pool water is healthy again in no time. After rainstorms and heavy use, it is sometimes necessary to add pool shock.
With ASP - America's Swimming Pool Company by your side, your entire team of pool care specialists will be fully educated, trained, certified, and ready to deliver stellar service to your clients in no time. We hold our entire team of pool technicians to the highest standards in the industry. We offer a 12-day Pool School at our national campus to all onboarding ASP pool technicians. With classrooms, pool props, and endless hands-on resources, this campus experience expedites the learning process. Upon completion, your pool care employee will leave a Certified Pool Operator (CPO) – ready to provide maintenance, repair, and remodeling solutions with a professional touch.
Give us a call at (800) 734-7886 or contact us online to find out how we can help you succeed in the pool industry today!