People in the pool service industry understand that their businesses thrive and produce the most revenue when they have loyal customers who return to them for seasonal and weekly pool maintenance. However, these types of clients are not the easiest to come by, especially for new businesses. Some businesses resort to using lead generation platforms, such as TaskRabbit or HomeAdvisor, to connect them with potential customers. Although these platforms can be convenient and provide a quick fix, there are some reasons business owners may want to avoid them.
What Are Some Pros of Using Lead Generation Platforms?
Lead generation services can provide pool maintenance businesses with the opportunity to connect with potential clients in a direct fashion, and most of the clients are already seeking out their services. Some of the main benefits of using lead generation services include:
- Providing visibility: Businesses that are smaller or that have recently launched might not have an established route or presence in their respective communities. Using a lead generation service can make a business more visible to potential customers who are already seeking the services they provide. These types of services can be thought of as a bridge that will connect service providers with people who need them.
- Cost effective marketing: Compared to direct mail and other traditional marketing channels (print, radio, TV), lead gen services are cheap. They typically take percentage of the ticket price, meaning if you, say, repair a pump for $198, the lead gen platform might take 10%.
- Faster sales: Lead generation services can be beneficial because they provide a consistent number of leads, and these leads are often well informed about what they need from a pool cleaning service. Sales tend to be closed more quickly when a lead is aware of what they need and when they need it.
What Are Some Cons of Using Lead Generation Platforms?
The use of lead generation services may seem like a no-brainer to some, but there are some cons that come with it. Some businesses may find it simpler and less expensive to try generating leads themselves. Some negative aspects of using lead generation platforms include:
- Less knowledge: The company chosen to generate leads for a business will never be as knowledgeable about the services the business provides as the business itself will be. For example, if your business specializes in pool closings, openings and routine cleanings, don’t be shocked if your fed a lead for heater repairs or other jobs that fall outside your scope of services.
- No guarantees: Services that provide lead generation usually require businesses to pay for all the leads provided to them. This means that businesses end up paying for leads that don’t result in sales. The return on investment for this method of lead generation tends to be small, if there is any at all.
- Shared leads: Lead generation companies tend to send the same leads out to businesses offering similar services in a specific area, i.e. your competition. This means that businesses are in competition with one another even though they are paying to receive leads targeted to them and their services. It may not be worth the cost, or the need to hire someone to follow up with most leads.
- Lost profits: While most lead generation companies charge a fee for each lead they provide, there are some that will also ask for a percentage of the sales they generate. The efficiency of lead generation might end up costing more if the service charges many fees.
Become an ASP Franchise
Franchising with America’s Swimming Pool Company can provide owners of pool service businesses with the tools to reach levels of success they might not be able to on their own. ASP has many features that can help boost business for people in the pool maintenance industry.
We have an established network of clients and a referral network built to keep new clients coming in at a steady pace. Our recognizable brand name and reputation for excellent service has won us “Best in Category” awards, and we support all our franchisees through long-term training. Some of the specific support we provide franchisees with includes:
- Integrated communication systems, an automated mobile platform, and other business methods proven to provide success
- A solid marketing strategy because of our recognizable name and lack of competition at our level
- Buying power that leads to discounts on supplies that a smaller business wouldn’t receive
Becoming an ASP franchisee takes much of the guesswork out of owning a pool service business and will provide a sense of relief knowing there is a nationally recognized and respected brand behind you. Contact us today at (800) 734-7886 or via our contact link to learn more!